As the creator of your life, you can design your vision as general or as specific as you like. Some people like to be in the flow with universal forces, accepting situations as they come, feeling grateful for the gifts they receive. These people are like reeds in water and bend with the current, moving in harmony with universal forces. Other people like to plan their life, taking an active role in creating their future, planting the seeds to harvest the fruit they wish to eat later.
In macrobiotics, the first approach is more yin in nature, passive and receptive. The latter approach is more yang in nature, active and direct. Since the universe is a balance of both approaches, I suggest making appropriate choices to create the life you want, while being open to unexpected gifts that come your way.
The following goal setting format is a general approach to creating your goals (this tool is also useful for New Year’s resolutions). If you want to get more specific with your vision, add some details like dates. Then visualize how you will feel when they magically appear.
Recipe for Success: New Life Goals Format
By Dave Cunningham, Front Runners LLC
- For each category below, consider the first things that come into your mind. Don’t question it or try to think it through. Just write it down (or ask someone to write as you speak). For some categories, you will immediately think of several goals. Again, just write them down (or dictate them to someone who will write them for you.
New Life Categories
- After writing goals for the categories, go back and read through each one. Prioritize them. You may want edit them or add others or delete them altogether. Go ahead and do so.
- Finally, make a finished list of goals by category.
- Now make a sacred agreement with yourself that you will read them every day for two weeks or a month or whatever you are comfortable with. Then do it. Over the period of the year, you will think of re-reading your goals. When you do, do so. It will become less important, because the acts of writing them down and reading them regularly in the beginning (or January for New Year’s resolutions) will plant them in your mind and heart. You will effortlessly follow the path to achieving your goals.
To get the long term goals accomplished, you must do short term goals step-by-step in an organized fashion. Dividing the yearly goals into twelve monthly goals makes the vision less overwhelming and more attainable. When you surrender and release limiting thoughts and beliefs on the inside, you become open to the many opportunities on the outside that you were unable to see, because you were blind to them.
|A Personal Note Everybody has different needs in their lives, so your list may look quite different from someone else’s. When you try to determine your optional categories, think of what means the most to you. Is it playing with your children? Is it spending time in the garden? Is it trying new and different things? Whatever it is, add it to your list of optional categories. Only you can dictate your priorities, so make sure to include everything that is important to you.|
Let’s reiterate these points by exploring two quotes by men who had a clear grasp on their life ambitions:
“There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity.”
“When written in Chinese, the word ‘crisis’ is composed of two characters – one represents danger and the other represents opportunity.”
~John F. Kennedy
I cannot stress the importance of opportunity enough, so it is a good thing that Douglas MacArthur and John F. Kennedy could!
Recipe for Success: Creating Your New Life
Create a recipe for your New Life in your journal. For each category, list your ingredients, which are the components you need to fulfill your vision. Then answer the following questions:
- How will you feel? Remember why you want this vision. What is your passion? Connect in with the essences of your feelings. What do you really want? Examples are Love, Freedom, Joy, and Peace.
- What thoughts and beliefs will you have when you live your new life category?
- What actions will you take?
- Every great person has a great team behind him or her handling the details. What team members do you need?
- What are you inspired to do right now to amp up your energy that will carry you forward?
Recipe for Success: Step-by-Step Guide to Monthly Goals
For each month, list the following for each new life category:
- What are your goals?
- What are your dates and time frames?
- What actions will you take to accomplish your goals?
- What is your progress so far?
- What are your limiting thoughts and beliefs that are holding you back?
- What you will allow Spirit to offer you? How you will allow Spirit to love you?
- What you will allow for yourself? How you will love yourself? (Connect with your Bliss Guide for the answer to this one.)
- Visualize yourself receiving the gifts in Technicolor.
- List the opportunities and positive evidence as they appear.
- Be grateful.
Actively participating in the creation of your life instead of reacting to what comes gives you more awareness of your own power as you follow your bliss. This trust of your intuition will become stronger everyday, and you will be better able to speak your truth and teach others to do the same. As each day begins, you will reflect on what your goals are and visualize yourself attaining them.
Because the mind does not distinguish whether the event is happening now or in the future, the emotions of gratitude that arise will create a flowing energy that manifests the event. The most important thing you need to improve your life is to remember that you are connected with the universe and to speak your truth, using your inner guidance. In this way, you can live a balanced life in peace and happiness.
“It is our duty – as men and women – to behave as though limits to our ability do not exist. We are co-creators of the Universe.”
~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Do you remember as a child how fun it was to pretend? That fun doesn’t have to end. Even now you can tap into your imagination playground to create the life of your dreams. This is a fun exercise that will help you take control of your own life and bring your life’s screenplay to fruition.
Recipe for Success: Imagination Game
- Close your eyes.
- Relax and let go of tension.
- Imagine a table in the middle of the room. On this table is a bright red round apple, wider at the top and narrower at the bottom.
- Imagine that you reach out your hand and pick up the apple, feeling the heavy weight of it in your hands.
- In your mind, touch the skin and feel the smooth, cool texture.
- Bring the apple up to your mouth and take a bite.
- Listen as you hear the crunch when you bite into the apple.
- Feel your teeth break into the pulp, and taste the sweet, tart juice in your mouth.
- Bring the apple up to your nose and smell the sweet, fresh aroma.
- End the game by bringing your mind back to the present.
Once you are back in the present, stop and think about what you experienced. Then answer the following questions in your journal:
- Could you experience a whole body visualization of the apple in your mind?
- What emotions did you have?
- What thoughts did you have?
- Were you surprised at the experience? Is it what you expected?
Next, test your imagination skills even further. Try this game with a macrobiotic meal. Using your imagination, begin with the grains, move to the beans, and then end with the vegetables. Write your answers to all of these questions in your journal and keep them for future reflection.
If Shakespeare was right when he said that all the world is a stage, then your journal is like your official actor bio. Make your biography as clear, complete, and concise as you can so that you will be able to add to your spiritual credentials as the years go on.
I’ve spoken a lot about the power of your journal, and now it’s time to take a break and make sure that you are keeping track of all your progress. This will help you immensely as you look back on how you started your spiritual journey and on how far you have come since you first started.
Use your journal to document three major elements of your life.
This can help you discover areas in your life that you would like to change. Of course, this is your journal, so you can feel free to add in any other relevant areas of your life. Just be sure to write about the above three issues, though, because that is how you will really be able to document your progress.
Recipe for Success: Positive Evidence Journal
Develop your awareness of Spirit by writing positive evidence in a journal. Follow these simple steps:
- In the morning, write your screenplay on the left page.
- In the evening, write what happened during the day on the right hand page.
- Remember to express gratitude for the abundant opportunities and blessings in your new life.
It is acceptable behavior in this society to put other people’s needs first, while sacrificing your own needs. Living within this norm, it is easy to set the intention for going to work and spending eight hours a day at the office, since people are often reluctant to set the intention to put their own needs first. Here are some hints for when you want to connect to your truth.
- First, listen to your inner voice, and then, set the intention to receive help from your Bliss Guide.
- Second, be as detailed as you can in the creation of your day. For instance, when you are planning your day, include the times you will do something and how long you plan on doing it. Include time for your passions. Be specific.
- Pretend that you are a secretary, making out the schedule for your boss. She is relying on you to plan out her day, minute by minute. She trusts you to create a day filled with important appointments as well as relaxation time (down time). You will find that not only will you will get more done, you will create the day that you want. You will live from your truth.
- Then visualize your day in Technicolor, Techni-smell, Techni-sound, Techni-everything!
Your thoughts and words have the power to create endless experiences. All it takes it your imagination and listening to your heart to be who you want to be. Have you ever envisioned your day and then lived it moment by moment, watching the drama play itself out? It’s almost like déjà vu, except that you created the day through visualization. When you have envisioned a scenario, it is as if it has already happened, because the spiritual world will manifest the desire into action. Now’s your chance, so live your life to the fullest!
You are director and main character in your movie. Whatever you want to have happen will happen under your direction. All the world is your stage and the props and extras are waiting for your cue to perform the drama of your dreams. What message do you want to convey to your audience? What is the theme of the movie, your legacy that you want to leave behind for future generations?
Scripting is a useful tool to help you become clear about what you want. Scripting is a personal expression of your passion and sets up divine right timing to create a flow of energy straight to your door. When scripting, it is important to connect with the essences of your feelings and passion. This opens up communication with Spirit using Universal Language. There is no right or wrong way to script. I like to include gratitude and thanks for the gifts that are on their way to me. I also write in the present tense to emphasize that the gifts are already being given; it is up to me to be open to receiving them.
Recipe for Success: Writing Your Screenplay
Letter Format to Spirit
- Date ___________
- Dear Divine Team,
- Write a divine incantation.
- Begin in gratitude for your blessings.
- Write your inner and outer intentions for today. The inner intentions focus on the spiritual essences (love, peace, joy, freedom) of how you want to feel on the inside. The outer intentions are what you want to intend on the outside.
- Script your day. Begin with gratitude and focus on spiritual essences of how you want to feel. Use the present tense. Visualize your day in Technicolor.
- Acknowledge Spirit in granting your gifts.
- State that it is done.
- Sign your name as if closing a letter.
Example of Screenplay
- Dear Divine Team,
- Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti. Om Peace, Peace, Peace.
- I begin in gratitude for my Divine Team, my Blessed Life, and my Abundance which overflows as Love and Light.
- Today, my intention on the inside is to be open to Divine Inspiration and on the outside to connect with Higher Self in each person to meet, to have fun, and serve Humanity in the Highest Way possible.
- I am so happy and grateful now that I am co-creating with Love a delicious macrobiotic meal. I am so happy and grateful now that my loved ones and I are connecting on the level of the Heart, and we are giving and receiving Love in the perfect amount. I am so happy and grateful for the Abundance of Life that is flowing to me.
- In gratitude, I decree IT IS DONE. And SO IT IS. Amen.
- In Love and Light, Julie S. Ong
In Hollywood, every movie comes with a full production team. When it comes to your life, you have to play the leading actor, director, producer, and everything else. You get to set the lighting, design the set, pick the wardrobe, and choose your own props. Use all of these choices to your advantage! You’re playing by your rules to create the best life movie that you possibly can. So get out there and win yourself a metaphorical Emmy, because you certainly deserve it!
A man should learn to watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the luster of the firmament, of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his. In every work of genius we recognize our own thoughts: they come back to us with a certain alienated majesty. Great works of art have no more abiding lesson for us than this. They teach us to abide by our own spontaneous impression with good-natured inflexibility when the whole cry of voices is on the other side.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
If you identify with your past and all its events, you can become like a robot, performing roles that are created by society. You may identify with the tribal stories that have been told to you from childhood. You may limit your growth, weighing every choice you make against the beliefs you perceive are true. You may be afraid to venture out into the wild blue yonder, creating imaginary boundaries about how you are not good enough, not old enough, etc. Behind these stories and limiting thoughts is the foundational thought that represents who you think you are, the underlying thought of love or fear. This thought creates corollary thoughts, such as “I can’t afford that,” “I am not worthy,” or “there isn’t enough”. However, when you connect with your higher self and receive the true foundational thought that represents You, you know that Love, Peace, Joy, and Freedom are the truth of who you are. As you become more aware of the limiting thoughts you have been carrying around, you can choose to release them and create new ones that reflect your true self.
How you see the world and what opportunities appear to you depend largely on the way you are thinking. When you see the world as a hard place, you will tend to see your life as half-empty. But if you see problems as opportunities, you will tend to see your life as half-full. Depending on your point of view, you can choose to be open to receiving the gifts from the universe or limit yourself by seeing only hardship and suffering. Your potential is unlimited. However, if you perceive yourself as small, you will remain unaware of your power and your connection in an expanded universe.
Perhaps this can be described best by Vilayat Khan, an Indian/British Sufi Master and writer who once said, “Those issues that you face are not fixed in time and space; they are relative to your particular viewpoint and subject to constant change. In fact, much of the pain caused by our problems stems in part from our own unchanging biases in terms of how we interpret our personal difficulties to ourselves.”
Philosophically, the cause of illness is the disconnection from your source, and as the ego’s thought system separates you from others, you tend to make judgments and conjure up stories that you believe are true. When your ego defends itself and you think you are your stories, your body becomes sick trying to maintain this illusion.
It is well known that prayer and laughter have been shown to reverse illness and diseases without resorting to conventional treatments that are relied on in Western medicine. Though there is not a concrete scientific explanation to describe this phenomenon, the fact still remains that prayer and laughter do wonders for the soul. So if you are feeling sick or sad or even helpless, remember that doctors do not hold the cure for everything. In fact, sometimes the best medical cures lie within yourself.
In reality, you are not your body, and so you cannot die. There is nothing you can do that can hurt your body. Attack comes from within, and when you attack another, you attack yourself. Through judgments on others and yourself, you have created the opportunity for attack. These judgments and stories give you the illusion of power, but real empowerment comes from within when you realize that you are not separate, that you are one with your absolute source.
Your thoughts create your reality, so that what you experience is how you perceive the situation. If you believe that you can die, you will perceive the world as attacking you, and your body reacts to your beliefs by growing old and becoming sick. It is your stressful thoughts along with unhealthy diet that cause your body to become weak and vulnerable to attack from pathogens. Furthermore, universal forces are attracted to like frequencies, and if your thoughts are vibrating at a frequency of death and despair, the universe will provide the forces that support death and despair. However, if you think thoughts of peace and well being, the universe will provide situations in which you are at peace.
Often, self-limiting thoughts or judgments create blockages in the flow of universal energy in the body, which lead to stagnation and illness. Holding on to the past and playing a role of who you think you should be leads to live a life that is disconnected from your truth. Self-love, forgiveness, and speaking your truth are the keys to opening up and releasing blockages to healing.
Recipe for Success: Changing Limiting Thought Patterns and Beliefs
This is a very important exercise that will leave you with a much deeper understanding of what holds you back and what you can do to move forward. Remember to write down your answers in your journal.
- What limiting thoughts and stories do you have?
- What feelings do you have associated with these thoughts?
- Examining each limiting thought, what choices have you made based on that belief or thought?
- What new thoughts or mantras do you want to hold that reflect your true self?
- What choices do you desire to make to live the life you create?
- What inspired actions do you have to amp up the energy and carry you forward?
Throughout the day, notice your thought patterns and write them down. What is your foundational thought? Notice your feelings and how your feelings change when you change your thoughts. Praise yourself each time you create a new more positive thought pattern. Keep a journal and note how often you give yourself permission to love yourself. After a while, you will notice positive changes in how you perceive yourself and others. Your transformed thoughts will reflect your authentic self. Welcome to the new YOU!
Development of intuition means trusting your inner voice instead of protecting your ego. When you forget to listen to your inner voice, you can get depressed or sick. But when you listen to your inner voice, who is your guide, you are at peace. If you trust that the universe is abundant and will bring what you need, your heart can be joyful and open to whatever comes.
Meditation and studying scriptures and writings of spiritual leaders open the door to choices that support your well-being, instead of succumbing to temptations or mindlessly following the advice of others. You want your choices to reflect who you are and to open doors of opportunity for further growth.
Life need not be a struggle; it can be easy to listen to your intuition and be joyful. You may become distracted when you get caught up in the struggle to survive. However, suffering is a matter of perspective. You can clean the lens through which you see the world and release mental blockages to receiving universal energy.
Receiving universal energy requires you to become strong physically, through eating an energetically balanced diet of macrobiotic foods. Doing what you love also fills up your energy reservoir, while working under other people’s rules depletes your energy. When you make your passion your life work, everything you do connects you with your source. You cultivate more than enough love to give. In this way, your life becomes a prayer and a gift to the universe in gratitude for the abundance in your life.
As you see yourself as an important contributor to universal flow and a teacher of truth, you live from our authenticity. Your life becomes a joy, rather than a struggle to survive. You see the process of death as a transformation from physical to spiritual energy, as appearances changing form. This awareness allows you to devote your time to creation, rather than to the ego’s game of survival of the fittest.
Your body is a tool you can use to spread the message of truth. Your mental, emotional, and etheric fields form the matrix on which the physical body can materialize, so the body is a reflection of our thoughts and energy. You can develop your connection to the energetic field by engaging in things like eating a macrobiotic diet, taking a walk in nature, and wearing organic natural fiber clothing.
You can also improve your compassion towards others. You can do this by focusing on the aspects that you like about them and being grateful that they are contributing to the positive energy of the universe. Then the boundaries that separate you from people with whom you feel resistance are dissolved; you see them as spirits on the same path to the absolute source. It is when you focus on protecting your ego and see yourself as better than others that you lose your direction, blocking the universal flow. Disassociating yourself from the ego and focusing on your higher self can help you see beyond illusions to the truth in others. You can also ask their higher guides to help them become aware of their issues and limitations that arise from the need to defend their ego.
As you develop your awareness of your energetic field, you can be open to supporting the body’s ability to heal itself. This involves cultivating trust in inner guides that not only give you advice, but also help facilitate energetic healing. This inner guidance is the link to universal energy, which can show you the means to heal from within. In this way, your own inner guidance can help release emotional or mental blockages in the aural field so that healing can proceed.
Recipe for Success: Engaging Your Inner Guidance with the Use of Inner or Spirit Guides
This is another very helpful activity that will give you greater insight into your inner or spirit guide. Simply follow these steps and keep your journal close by.
- Close your eyes.
- Relax all tension in your body.
- Imagine yourself in front of an ornate door that is perfect in height, weight, and width. It may be carved or even have a stained glass window. The handle is at the perfect height and feels good in your hand. Around the edges, a glorious light is shining through. The iridescent light is the perfect temperature and is calling you.
- Grasp the handle and open the door.
- If you were going to fill a job position, what do you need help with? Ask your inner guides to appear to you one by one. They may appear as physical beings, as a thought, or as light. You may see them, sense them, or feel them.
- Write down what you sense for each of your inner guides. Ask your guides for support as you make choices along your journey.
Now answer the following questions in your journal:
- Did you feel any body sensations?
- What are your emotions?
- Which guides are on your team? Be sure to include a Bliss Guide on your team. A bliss guide is someone who helps you have more fun and allows your work to be fun, because none of us plays enough.
- List the names and characteristics of your guides.
A Helping Hand
As you already know, every person has an internal voice (no matter what we call it) that dictates what is right or wrong, good or bad, just or unfair. This voice is what carries you through the bad times and leads you to the good. While it is imperative for everybody to follow their own choices, sometimes you need to lend yourself a helping hand. If you are having a hard time letting your inner voice ring strong, you may want to consider getting a spiritual life coach. Sometimes it just takes a bit of coaxing to make your inner voice come out, and in the end, your inner voice is the key to your life’s success.
A positive evidence journal is where you write about all the wonderful things that happened to you during the day. You’ll write about everything that worked and the changes that are going on in your life. Create a list of positive affirmations and look for the positive evidence. This helps you develop your awareness of the spiritual forces at play on your behalf.
Then make a list of the opportunities and blessings that you receive. Even the small things, like getting a terrific parking space or eating energetically balanced food, are positive evidence. We often take these small things for granted, and we can become more aware of them by writing about them in our journals.
Express gratitude for the abundance that is flowing to you. What small things are you grateful for? Notice how your list becomes longer every day.
Example of Positive Evidence Journal
Begin each day with a positive affirmation. Start off with an affirmation that meets you where you are. When you are ready, create a new affirmation, each one building on the next, as you move up the vibrational scale. This helps you shift your beliefs so that you become more aligned with what you want. These are progressive affirmations. For example, you may discover something like:
- I need help remembering I am worthy.
- I am beginning to remember I am worthy.
- I remember more and more I am worthy.
- I am seeing evidence I am worthy.
- I am seeing more and more evidence I am worthy.
Next, look for positive evidence that you are a worthy person. If a person spoke respectfully to you, write it down. For example, “The cashier at Walgreens told me to have a nice day.” Think about that positive evidence and pay attention to how it made you feel. Don’t worry – you don’t have to do this alone! Simply use the following questions as your guide and be honest:
- Did you notice any shifts in your body?
- Were there any changes in your emotions?
- Did you experience any changes in your thoughts?
- Were there any changes in your posture?
Pay close attention to the answers you wrote in your journal and take the time to reflect on past journal entries every now and then. You are just beginning your spiritual journey, but soon you will be able to see the progress you have made and the difference between where you began and where you will end up.
Remember, a spiritual journey has no end, but every journey starts with a beginning – and you are off to a fantastic start!